Sunday 22 May 2022

30 BÜKS!

DAS BÜK! I eventually found our book from VCCA (minus the original ironic cover made from two large slabs of bark) that I had instigated as a mail-art opportunity to keep in touch after returning home. Seeing it now I realise people didn’t take it too seriously. It must have been more my thing. Joan’s page was nice though

https://www.learnevents.com/blog/2015/09/07/imagery-vs-text-which-does-the-brain-prefer/


Over the years I’ve considered this a lot. What do we remember from art? Film courses are full of return of the hero type screenwriting advice. I’ve been on some of them. The big Hollywood writers admit that although these formulae exist, they are useless to use in any meaningful way. People still buy the how-to books however. I bought one, Save the Cat There is one bit in it I liked called ‘Double Marzipan’. The idea being if you have two elements in a story, one can be free (subjective) and one not. EG You probably should not use fuzzy abstract imagery to illustrate fuzzy abstract poetry. I made an artist's book out of it. It’s a silent book (that looks noisy).


Kurt Schwitters has long been a hero that returns to me. An artist known for his commitment to total art work Gesamtkunstwerk. Although we know him as the king of collage, he was as much a writer as a visual artist. There is a book about this called PPPPPP 


I made my own little total art book as a lock-down project in 2020. Connecting old and new, online and off. Slightly disappointed now I spelled (or is it spelt?) NAPOLEONIC wrong. I’m stuck with it now. Old media eh?




No comments:

Post a Comment