Sunday 6 March 2022

41 Badge-it

Badge of achievement Badge of belonging Badge of shame 

Or just a badge. Interpreted in many ways, they can certainly be a dodgy business. I do like them as objects though, and have a few


Some badge stories…


The star of the first colour photograph made by James Clerk Maxwell in Edinburgh was a kind of rosette that pets win in shows. I wondered why. I made one for myself, but haven’t worn it yet.


My father-in-law was head of social work in Scotland. As usual in these roles, honours are eventually bestowed. My wife accompanied him to Buckingham Palace to receive his CBE from The Queen. As the sword was lowered she heard ‘I’m going to wash that man right out of my hair’ being played by the regimental band. Must have been a favourite. He was also required to pay £100 to receive the medal and a VHS video of the event. Sadly (although the hardware was rather splendid) the video was library footage, and in fact was of Jimmy Saville’s investiture. 


Discovering that the Royal College of Art still handed out rather pompous medals to students was a bit of a shock. I thought I would make some for my students, and bought a badge machine. I got a bit stuck however, it’s trickier than I imagined. If anyone wants me to make one of their own designs, you can use this template to fill in and send to me... https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ap-e5Xk45OxEge1ii0WBauy6YiMCOA?e=h9KNgP


Recently, my university card fell apart. I have had it since 1999 in the last century. The library said they could make me a new one pronto, but they insisted they had to use the photograph they had already. What an embarrassment. I had to Tippex it.


Amazingly, there are even some people who don’t like badges https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges




No comments:

Post a Comment