Sunday 16 October 2022

9 Undoing

I currently have a role in Edinburgh College of Art, with Postgraduate Illustration. It is a large course with highly skilled students from all over the world. Perhaps because it has the word illustration in it, many students feel they have to make a certain kind of art. I spend much of my time discussing this with them. One of the skills they show is by putting a considerable amount of effort into making digital images look hand-made. I ask them about this too. The main problem I see with this is they can undo everything, allowing them never having to make a decision.

Last year because of Covid it was very difficult for everyone at college. They were however able to make some amazing work. One of the MA students, Shuyu Ke, only saw me once in real life. She very generously made a drawing of the occasion to send to me. I was quite moved by this. To relax the situation I said thank you so much for the lovely drawing, it’s a shame I can’t show my mother, because my shirt-tail is hanging out. She said, no problem, I fix!







No comments:

Post a Comment