Sunday 2 October 2022

11 Lazy

Juxtaposition (1970s), notion (nah), think outside the box (stay marooned outside), away from my comfort zone (stop it now), automatic writing, cut-ups, structuralism, as form rises art declines, Brion Gysin, give the public what they want, problem with actors is they speak back… are rules in art lazy? Probably.

A line from Grey Area by Will Self: The images on the wall were tired, static, self-referential, each one a repository of forgotten insights, now incapable of arousing fresh interest” 


So bleak, but we’ve all been there. A few years back I took a group of Chinese postgrad students to the Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh. There was a large expressive abstract, gestural, painting on the wall. I can’t remember the artist. A student very politely asked me why it was there. All kinds of thoughts went through my head. eg It was just after a recession and they were digging out purchases from a bygone lesser informed committee as an inexpensive solution to filling what was not a temple but a large publicly owned barn. I didn’t say that, but it certainly looked foosty. I was slightly on edge because there was someone there from the gallery education team who may have been able to read my mind. Paintings stay the same, it’s us that change. And even though films look like they are constantly renewing themselves, it is us that change our minds.


https://will-self.com/category/radio/


Kevin Atherton https://vimeo.com/31444775


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamachine





No comments:

Post a Comment