Sunday 3 July 2022

24 Competition

Eyes on the prize. History is written by the victors. I want your wife.

You’re not getting her! One of my wife’s many attractions is her (apparent) lack of ego, and reluctance to compete. It is something I am learning from her… although I’m not there yet. A psychology major and devotee of Jungian psychoanalyst James Hollis, this approach to life has been a constant in all the time I have known her, and it still impresses.


Bruce Mau says… 26. DON’T ENTER AWARDS COMPETITIONS.

Just don’t. It’s not good for you. https://brucemaustudio.com/projects/an-incomplete-manifesto-for-growth/


Ambition is a different thing. I currently run a large postgraduate course at Edinburgh College of Art. Every semester myself and colleagues review hundreds of applications to get on MA. The portfolios seem to be getting much better. It is relatively subjective. They just want in. About a month ago I suggested to a student that she should watch a film I had just discovered in its entirety, in a good print, on Youtube. The Red Balloon. Well, it may be coincidence, and the whole world is watching the same things of course, but an application popped in three weeks later extolling the virtues of this very movie. I’m guessing social media. Yes, the portfolios are getting better at high speed now. Soon they may not need to do the course.


It has always amazed me, and taking the RA and Scottish RSA Summer shows as an example, that if art can be anything, how come it looks like that? Or is this more coincidence?




Pace it https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/13/vote-now-painted-snail-and-shipworm-vie-for-mollusc-of-the-year-title-aoe?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other




















Now let’s see if you can get three arrows in the middle like I didn't, and 100 points for the balloon…





No comments:

Post a Comment